Acer palmatum 'Purple Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 31, 2004.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A thicker-leaved cultivar of the "Ghost Series." Signifiacantly more sun-tolerant without strong verigation or reticulation as seen on in other "Ghosts." Likey a medium sized upright plalmatum at maturity. In spring leaves are red in color with deep black or dark purple veining. Later in the season, leaf color turns to deep purple with the same veining. Leaves have a somewhat leathery texture and green iridescence on the underside. A relatively large leaf with thick toothed lobes.

A truly unique cultivar with good seasonal appeal. Seems to be quite hardy-sun and wind tolerant. One of my favorites!

Specimen purchased from Greer Gardens, Eugene, Oregon. Frist photo of late summer color in predominantly shade and the second and third photos of late spring coloration in sun.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  2. mjh1676

Spring update 2005. All leaves shown in the second week of April with full sun exposure. The tree is about 3 years old and was planted last fall in the ground.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  3. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

a cool showy tree

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  4. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

New leafs emerging in the greenhouse, taken feb 25.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  5. mjh1676

My Purple Ghost has let me down this year. Where did the variegation go--apparantly it is too happy. I would not have guessed this plant would fail to show variegation as it is such a strong characteristic. So much to learn, so little time, but I assure you it is the same plant. Photos taken this first week of May 2006. (second photo with a flash)

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Really amazing Michael, I would have bet it is not the same plant. And what is disturbing to me is that it is in its second year in the ground so I would have expected full performance. Would the sun be the cause?

Gomero

7. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Michael,

Regarding your Purple Ghost - are you using heavy fertilizer? J.D. Vertrees reminds us in his writing that over-fertilization can change a variegated cultivar and mask the unique characteristics of the tree. Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  8. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Michael,
    Good observation, for some reason the 'Purple Ghost' that were planted in the ground were not impressive at all this year. Some years a plant will shine and then once in awhile they are not so impressive.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Definitely evocative of Halloween with those witch's fingers leaf lobes.

10. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

A new Purple Ghost to my garden. I hope it doesn't fail to perform in subsequent years as Michael's has done.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  11. Maple_Lady

Purple Ghost has continued to provide wonderful foliage year after year. I just took this picture last week of a First Ghost next to my Purple Ghost. Sam

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  12. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey Guys, I'm going to jump in here - I've been looking at P. Ghost now for a while and want to get it. I don't know much about it, so I'm going to ask ya'll - do ya'll think it's a very nice cultivar? Do I have reason to get it? I'm planning to get the entire Ghost series, excluding Martha and Uncle, so is it really worth getting?
    Thanks,
    -David-

13. Maple_Lady

Hi,

I have First Ghost, Sister Ghost, Baby Ghost, Grandma Ghost and Purple Ghost. Purple Ghost is the most individualist of all the ghosts. Reticulated, ruffled purple leaves. A real eye stopper. check it out at www.eastforknursery.com

14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey Sam,
    can I send a check to your address? I (probably) will order from you next year, so just checking to make sure, because I don't want to use a credit card...I've also ordered a lot this year and don't need to order that many...we all know how that goes, so thanks!
    -David-

15. Maple_Lady

Hi David,

Yep I accept checks. Sam

16. Galt

Galt Active Member

While I realize that Purple Ghost is the flagship ghost for Buchholz, it has regularly underperformed for me. I have not been that impressed in the 3-4 years I have had it.

I think you are better off with a strong specimen of Kasagiyama and then, maybe down the road, Purple Ghost if you desire.

Currently, I can only recommend Sister Ghost and Amber Ghost from the series for a number of reasons. Then again, all will be collectors plants, but the two above will be the most characteristic, most unique and the stronger growers of the bunch.

Best of luck.

17. Maple_Lady

Hi Galt,

Funny, for me Sister Ghost is not that impressive, but my First Ghost is a knock out. LOL Sam

18. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I've got two Purple Ghosts, both exhibiting a stunning color intensity which holds for several weeks in springtime. Similarly, First Ghost is gorgeous, showy and a super performer. But I've been disappointed with Amber Ghost -- not much to differentiate it from a Kasagiyama in too much shade. I agree with Galt that a really good Kasagiyama (given enough sunlight) will provide lots of enjoyment and is worth the investment regardless of how many Ghosts one has.

19. Maple_Lady

I too am a Kasigiyama fan, but this maple can be unruly and needs constant pruning. Purple Ghost seems to grow in a more managable manner. Sam

20. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

From what I can tell these reticulated cultivars really need the right growing conditions to perform ideally. And by right, I actually mean maybe not so ideal. The correct amount of sun and nutrients seems to be needed to get that outstaning look. It seems to be one of those trees that you get the tree and move it around the yard for a couple of years to see where it looks best, rather than the type that you place in a particular spot.

21. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

You're absolutely right. And it's so hard to know what the plant wants/needs. I have two Olson's frosted strawberries, one in bright filtered sunlight and the other in considerable shade, about 50 yards from each other. This year, the one in shade had the most vivid color and held it much longer than its sibling. On the other hand, I've had a First Ghost for several years now, grown in a pot and thriving on my deck. A few months ago I put it in the ground very near the deck, and the cultivar clearly likes being in the soil. It's thriving and looking robust, and its color this spring is sensational, better than past years. My two purple ghosts seem to like more filtered light rather than less, and they have held intense color for weeks of enjoyment. I guess the moral of the story is to keep them in pots and move them around until the right location is found. Like someone else has stated, location, location, location.

22. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey guys, I'm jumping back in! I already ordered an Amber Ghost, and it'll come in soon. I think I'm going to get all of the ghosts (Amber, First, Grandma, Purple, and Sister) and study them just for the heck of it. As for Olsen's, I've looked for that variety for almost two years, and recently found it, and I'm also going to get that this fall. I don't know anything about Kagisiyama, so I might look into that.
    Thanks a million,
    -David-

23. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Any new pictures this spring of Purple Ghost anybody?
    David

24. xman

xman Active Member

Here is mine, the spring color was brilliant but I missed taking a picture. This is taken month after leaf out. Got this as a 1 gallon last fall. Still has the best color among all my maples.

xman

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  25. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Here's mine this spring.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.