UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Woody Plants

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Broom hasn't flowered this year

Hi,

I bought the broom last year and it was in full bloom, full with pretty yellow flowers, then it grew leaves and after they had fallen off, the plant looked pretty dead for some time. I was wondering if it actually was dead, but it came back to life this year after I had planted it into my back garden. However, there was only one - two yellow flowers and that was it.
Could please someone tell me why this is and what I need to take care of if I want it to get flowers next year?
Also, do I need to prune it? I have only cut off the bits that were obviously dead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02329.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	46266
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Re: Broom hasn't flowered this year

Broom flowers best in low fertility soil. In fertile soil, it grows vigorously but doesn't flower well.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Re: Broom hasn't flowered this year

Oh, that explains! I have added fertilizer pills to the soil. Won't add any more.
Thank you for your swift response!
Post New ThreadReply