Does anyone know about Coreopsis beetle biology?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by wlsnde, Aug 12, 2008.

1. wlsnde

wlsnde Active Member 10 Years

This Spring, I had a horde of ladybug-like beetles chomping on my Coreopsis. I think they are Calligrapha californica coreopsivora -- AKA the Coreopsis beetle, but it would be useful to be able to find out more about their biology so I might be able to control them using integrated pest management techniques. However, I am unable find any good biological information of this insect.

I eventually just started picking them out with tweezers, but their ability to reproduce or come in from unknown sources finally defeated me and they overwhelmed the two Coreopsis plants.

Does anyone have any information on these or could they point me towards some literature that might discuss the biology of these pests?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm... If you don't get any satisfactory answers here, you might try tracking down and sending an email to the fellow who identified them in this thread on bugguide, John R. Watts.

3. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

Looks like Acalymma Vittata to me.

4. wlsnde

wlsnde Active Member 10 Years

I agree that it is certainly similar to Acalymma vittata, except that they were selectively chewing on the Coreopsis (and in very large numbers), not the cucumber or any other cucurbit. Given the numbers I saw, I'm sure they'll be back next year, so perhaps I'll take another run at them then.

5. GregZ

GregZ Member

Years later, a friend posts about having these bugs and my search leads me to this. Well, it would seem to me, as one who owns chickens, that one of my birds would elimnate the infestation pretty quick. But don't leave them with the plants too long. AFTER they eat the bugs, they will eat the young plants. Just saying. :-{)>