UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Indoor and Greenhouse Plants

Indoor and Greenhouse Plants Plant Care, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Help! Tiny thin white worms (1cm) in the soil

I just noticed that there are many tiny thin white worms in the soil of my indoor palm tree. I can see at least 50 of them on top of the soil crawling and have no idea how many there are in the soil. They have a white head with two tiny white antennas. The long white things on the soil are the worms in the photo. Please click on the photo for the better image. Does anyone know the name of this worm and what I should do? Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	2025
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	45596  
Old August 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Re: Help! Tiny thin white worms (1cm) in the soil

They look like white millipedes. They are pretty easy to get rid and really pretty harmless compared to other indoor pest, although, you don't want them in your house crawling around! They mostly nibble on dead plant material and possibly tiny feeder roots/ small shoots.

I once had the reg brown millipedes (not sure where they come from) in a potted indoor tree that I didn't know about and then one day, hundreds of mill babies exploded from under the soil, crawling all around on top, gross!
I don't use any chemicals, so, I took the whole potted tree outside and placed the pot into a larger body of water up to the rim for 20 min or so forcing the mills up to the surface for air and then dumbed them out.
You can also change the soil getting rid of every bit of the old dirt and using new.
Post New ThreadReply