What kind of pachypodium is this?

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by pumpkinpoo, Jul 20, 2008.

1. pumpkinpoo

pumpkinpoo Member

Can anyone help me identify this pachypodium? I've looked at lots of websites with galleries of photos but it's hard to tell, it could be a rosulatum or a lamerei...I don't know. So experts, please help me out! :o)
    S5000430.jpg

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it looks like euphorbia 'milli' aka crown of thorns to me.

it's very healthy!

3. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

nope doesn't look like e. milli to me. Looks like a Pachypodium to me, but it seems very unlike anything I have seen. Its mostly the cluster of little plants that has me. Otherwise I would call it P lameri, but I only know that as solitary columns.

I would try sending this image to one of the dealers of Pachpodium.

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

There are three Pachypodium species that will commonly have this growth pattern. Those being P. succulentum, P. bispinosum, and P. meridionale. Both P. succulentum and bispinosum will typically have the relatively thin, spined, branches, but with a smaller leaf than what is shown in your photo. They both are most often found with a single, large caudex, unlike yours. P. meridionale has the larger leaf and spines that are in doubles and singles, like this one, however, the spines tend to be a bit shorter and thicker in mature specimens.

P. rosulatum has a short, wide, thick, waxy leaf and is not a likely candidate.

If it is a P. lamerei, which the foliage would suggest, it has a very unusual growth pattern, as all young specimens that I have seen have been a single, fat stem. However, the spines tend to be inconsistent with a P. lamerei as yours has spines in singles and doubles around a single leaf, whereas, P. Lamerei will typically have three spines.

Your photo has it's limitations. Perhaps a little more time to mature and fatten up, as well as a flower, we will be able to confirm the identification. I'll keep looking and update as I try to sort this out, but right now my bias is toward P. meridionale.

Mark

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Probably Pachypodium saundersii. Its getting etiolated from not enough light.

Definitely not any species or hybrid of Euphorbia.

6. pumpkinpoo

pumpkinpoo Member

Thank you all,

well I've had another look at photos online of the pachypodiums you mentioned and it doesn't quite ressemble any of them. It's the trunk that gets me, the others seem to be more bulbous and smooth, ie lacking in spines, and the branches growing low from the base rather than from higher up. But yes, I shall just have to be patient and wait until it's grown some and if ever it flowers I'll post a pic.

Eek, not enough light? I have a grow lamp fitted into some glass shelves and had all the plants underneath the lamp until a huge mealy bug infestation happened. I'd moved this plant above the lamp to escape getting infected. I suppose it'd do better outside with proper sunlight. I'll pop him outdoors tomorrow!

Thanks again!

7. markinwestmich

Growth pattern may be similar, as well as the spines, however, P. saundersii foliage has a broader form, is a bit waxy, does not have the white line down the center of the leaf, and the leaves have a slight serration around the edges.

8. markinwestmich

1. You have a young plant. Nearly all species of Pachypodium will eventually loose their lower spines and fatten up to create that bulbous and smooth trunk or caudex.

2. Branches growing low from the base is one of many variations found in nature. Although many species of Pachypodium are not known for this growth pattern, just because yours does may not mean that it is of a particular species.

3. Identification of Pachypodiums will include, but are not limited to: Spine morphology (short, long, fat, thin), the number of spines around a leaf (2, 3, 4), leaf shape (wide, narrow, long, short), leaf color top (light green, dark green, dark olive),
    leaf color underside (white, green), the color of the center leaf vein (white, yellow, pink, light green, dark green), and other leaf characteristics (wrinkled, smooth, waxy, serrations, etc.) and probably the most telling would be the flower. However, many Pachy's do not flower until they are several years old. Here are some photos of P. meridionale: http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/pac-mer-sub.asp

4. Be careful with outdoor light. Although your Pachy will eventually enjoy being baked in full sun, suddenly exposing it to full sun will likely burn the foliage. A shady or partly shady spot outdoors will expose your plant to a suprising amount of light and certainly more than being indoors. Let the plant get used to the protected spot for a few weeks before testing it in full sun.

I would enjoy viewing some more photos as this plant matures. We have a photo gallery in the Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree forum. Good luck.

Mark

9. dfoo

dfoo New Member

this is definitely a Pachypodium Densiflorum.