Monkey-puzzle tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Babboo, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Babboo

Babboo Member

Hello All,

I am wanting to grow a monkey-puzzle tree from scratch (or mostly so). I have a friend who has one so Ican get acutting from it, if that is the way to grow this type of tree.

Or is there another method I should try, like getting seeds? If so, is there a good source of seeds local to Vancouver that you would recommend?

What care requirements should I be aware of?

Any advice is welcomed.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Monkey Puzzle tree propagation

Cuttings:
    Take cuttings from the current year's growth using semi-ripe or ripewood. Use only a leading or main shoot not a lateral shoot. Various cuttings from different parts of the tree will produce plants of various habits. A leading shoot will produce a plant that grows straight upward.Take 6" cuttings,from one year old growth, from summer until just before growth resumes in Spring. Midwinter and midautumn are ideal times to make cuttings. You should use peat, perlite, conifer bark or mixtures of these with coarse sand in equal parts for the rooting medium. The cuttings may require bottom heat and plastic film over them - both common strategies for propagation - see gardening books for details. You should see growth by the summer. This is enough information to get you started.

From Seed:
    Cones will disintegrate after 1-2 years and scatter seeds.They will not germinate if allowed to dry out. Chill fresh ripe seeds in a bag of lightly damp peat or sand at 34- 39 degrees F. for 3-12 weeks. When the seeds begin to germinate, sow in pots. Keep in bright, frost-free place at about 59 degrees F. The seed leaves of most species remain below ground as the shoot of adult foliage emerges.

Good Luck to you with this puzzle.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004