Editing Posts

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

1. What conditions are necessary to use the functions in the editor that is operating in either 'Guided' or 'Enhanced' mode? I've tried to italicize using two different browsers without success. The browser window appears to perform a 'top of page' when I click on the button. There must be something simple that I've overlooked.

2. According to the indicator in the Posting Rules area at the bottom-left of the window I'm supposed to be able to edit my own previous postings. How do I do this? The forum's FAQ mentions an 'Edit' button but I don't see it.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

1) Here's some information: Guided and Enhanced Modes

Now, either one should work for italicizing in your browser, but perhaps not on older browsers. What web browser do you use?

2) There is likely either a small bug, or I don't have all of the settings quite right - it shouldn't display the permission to edit if you can't actually edit.

People are only allowed to edit their posts for several minutes after posting it, after that it remains as is. This is one of those trade-off things - yes, it is easier and more fluid to allow people to alter previous posts (say, to correct an error), but on the other hand, allowing it could alter the thread of conversation or (worst case scenario), someone could get upset and erase all of their previous posts.

3. Junglekeeper

The behaviour appears to be the same whether I use a fully-patched IE 5.01 or Firefox 0.9.3. Also, I do not get a popup dialog in guided mode. I've tried changing various browser and even firewall settings to no avail. Most puzzling. So I was just wondering if the functionality was related to a particular browser feature such as Java, JavaScript, ActiveX, cookies, etc.

I think the Edit button is working as you described which is good since it makes sense not to be able to edit past postings. This way readers won't have to scan for updates to a thread.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, yes. It uses JavaScript to do all the fancy stuff - it's really the only way that it is possible.

5. Junglekeeper

Problem solved!

After another debugging session, this time clearing the cache in between tests, the problem was determined to be the result of preventing scripts from disabling right clicks. That must have affected the action of the 'onclick' attribute. Sorry to have troubled you, Daniel.

6. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Junglekeeper:

With Javascript we can override the coding at times
    by writing in HTML code exactly where we want it.

As an example: Magnolia macrophylla var macrophylla

This is the tough part to write as I have to fool the javascript
    coding to do this. If I were to use <I> and </I> with the
    I and /I enclosed in brackets instead, the symbols will not show
    up. I tried a few times earlier even having the brackets and the
    I's enclosed in ( ) and still nothing. Where I have a < use an
    opening bracket [. Where I have a > use a closing bracket ]
    and then you can write macrophylla in Italics such as this but
    with brackets instead of the lesser than and greater than
    symbols - <I>macrophylla</I>. I've had to use the <url>
    </url> using the brackets for some of the longer lettered
    URLs in these forums. It works great for the super long