Local source for unusual cucumber?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by miggsy1812, May 9, 2008.

1. miggsy1812

miggsy1812 Member

Hi there, newbie poster here.

Can anyone recommend a good source for unusual cucumber seeds or seedlings, particulary Carosello Spuredda Leccese? I believe it is Italian.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. miggsy1812

miggsy1812 Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I may just have to keep looking.

4. TucsonTomato

TucsonTomato New Member

As Daniel noted, these cucumber vareities are in the melon family, botanically but harvested as cucumbers agriculturally.

I am currently growing the lighter version of this variety here in Arizona. I have a little blog where I talk about this and other Carosello varieties. They are very easy and fast to grow - though they do grow faster in the heat. They also tend to be burpless and bitter-free.

http://scientificgardener.blogspot.com/2012/03/carosello-bianco-leccese.html

There is a local company that sells Carosello Spuredda Leccese named Cucumbershop.com.

I hope that helps.

-Jay

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Have a look at the catalog of this small Canadian seed company from Quebec http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/cucumbers.html. They have some Carosello varieties, although not that many as the Cucumbershop.com recommend by TucsonTomato.