Bleeding Grape vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by kwakwa, May 1, 2008.

1. kwakwa

kwakwa Member

Hi is there anyway to stop my grapevine from bleeding and if not what sort of damage will it cause if left untreated?

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

My grape vines always bleed between the beginning of spring and the start of budding (just starting). I prune when the vines are dormant in autumn. The vines are all about 30 years old and vary in length, after pruning, from about 6ft on the pergola to about 20ft where they are grown, both for shade on both levels of the house and also for fruit. All of the vines flourish and produce so much fruit that I have problems giving it all away. To conclude I would not worry about the bleeding if the vines are healthy but I am sure that those who know more about grapes than I do will jump in with their views.
    Margaret

3. kwakwa

kwakwa Member

Thanks for your response Margaret, my vines(2) I've been told are five years old, they are in need of pruning that much I do know, according to my neighbours. I've only recently moved into the property and I guess they were originally planted for ornamental purposes, but they are now protrubing onto my next door neighbours property and i think he will cause them more damage if he hacks at them when they are in full flow. They are just begining to bud now, so am wondering if i prune them now right back i may be able to save them rather than later on in the summer if he has his way, as he said last year it caused him lots of problems and was in dispute with the previous occupier of my property

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I really am not an expert as I too inherited my vines. They do seem very hardy though and if they are liable to cause problems with a neighbour perhaps you could prune off the offending portions and this may even divert the plant's food to the section you keep. You might also try looking at the grape forum on this site as there are lots of posts on many aspects of grape growing such as taking cuttings and moving vines. A photo might also help us to offer suggestions.
    Good luck.
    Margaret

5. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Grapes should be grown in full sunlight. They can be successfully grown in locations where peaches and sweet cherries will survive the winter and where tomatoes or sweet corn will mature. Well drained sandy loam soils are best for grapes. Clay soils delay maturity of crops and vines, while sandy soils advance maturity. Remember that grape plants are vines and require support usually on a post and wire trellis. Grape vines must be pruned different from fruit trees. Most home gardeners do not prune their grapes hard enough. Pruned grape vines will bleed. This causes concerns to home gardeners but it is a good sign and the bleeding will stop.

Cheers

6. kwakwa

kwakwa Member

thanx for your responses, i'm just gonna go for it and prune them back, even if it is a bit late in the year and hope for the best