skunks/raccoons ripping up my lawn

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Gardenlover, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

there is an on going problem that has gotten better recently with raccoons and skunks coming to my lawn and diggin it up and destroying it.
    They were only coming to my lawn until recently with my work hours changing and I'm staying up latter at night waiting for them.

I have been actively chasing them away. They were destroying the neighbours lawn for 2 weeks straight but lately have disappeared. I am waiting for them to make the next move so I can pounce on them. They have gone into hiding....so to speak.

to be continued..........................

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

3. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Possibly eaten all the grubs, no need to come back either.

4. Gardenlover

This explains why my lawn lifts when I aerate it. The roots have yet to grab hold of the earth. The grubs are eating the roots. I planted this new lawn 3 years ago and it is still soft whenever I step on it.

What do you think?

5. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

It must have rooted by now (3yrs). There may possibly be something eating away at the roots where your turf lifts up. If it were to be Chaffer grubs, they are very large and quite visible if you were to look under the areas lifting, unless they've all been eaten by the skunks and raccoons. Do you actually mean the turf is lifting up in the sections you laid it in 3 yrs ago? That would definitely be strange.

If it is soft and you sink into the grass when you walk on it, is is possible the soil wasn't rolled or compacted before laying the turf? Too much water? I really couldn't say much without seeing it. But,, if you had a mass population of any type of grub continuously eating the roots, I would imagine the turf would be dead by now. Maybe someone else has an experience like this and can provide some advise.

6. Gardenlover

I bought the nematodes today. Will release them soon. Grubs should be gone.

Yeah, the lawn lifts when I push the aerate rod into the turf....like it has not catched quite strong. Wierd.