Tulip Problems

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Maxillian, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Maxillian

Maxillian Member

I would like to start off by saying hello to every one on the forum. Currently, I am in my final year at university about to start my exams so in order to relax, I and have taken up my long lost passion- gardening. I used to love gardening when I was a child but took a long break from it but have recently got back on the proverbial horse.

A few of my tulips have popped out looking a bit odd. here are some pics. Can you please help me?

Attached Files:

2. Maxillian

Maxillian Member

Here are some more photos of the problem bulbs. I have been doing some reading about this problem and all fingers point to fungus on the bulbs. You can actually see the fungus once the bulbs were puled out of the soil. what can i do to save these beautiful plants and how can I treat the soil so that this fungus does not spread to other bulbs?

I am a bit concerned as people have got some scare stories about how the soil is contaminated and how I have to throw it away. this is not possible because over 12 tulips are effected and remembering where inthe garden they were planted is going to be tricky

Attached Files:

3. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

Im sorry I cant help you but I can tell you that I am having the same problem with a few of my tulips this year also. Im hoping its from bad bulbs I bought from the store in the fall and not something to do with the soil! I haven't checked the bulbs but now I am going to.

4. Maxillian

Maxillian Member

I think I did the same. I bought bulbs from B&Q, which is the British equivalent of Wall Mart of the gardening world. I think these bulbs are not very well however I do not want them to die. Take a look at how many I have to kill if there is no cure. My mum said to put them in water with a tea spoon of apple vinegar in it to kill all the fungal spores. here is a photo of them standing in the treated water. Problem is, I think I have at least 15-20 more tulips that whos the signs of fungal retarding.

Attached Files: