Personal Avatars Requiring at Least 32767 Posts

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by AlainK, Apr 24, 2008.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Arrrgh...

I've just uploaded a 2 Mb or so picture in a thread, and I can't have a 5.69 kb (in French Ko) personal avatar ? !!!

Wow.

There must be a logic that I don't get, but never mind: Mama don't allow no avatar uploading here (...)

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Salut Alain,

Not sure what your issue is with the avatar. I didn't have a problem, and I certainly haven't posted 32767 times!

Welcome, nice to have a neighbor here. ;)

-E

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

First of all, I don't particularly appreciate being called 'Mama'.

Secondly, when you are allowed to have a custom avatar is:

From this thread.

Now, as to why it doesn't quite work yet for you is because it takes the server some time to move you from a Registered user to a Registered Plus user - to have these things done automatically on the server would be an intensive use of server resources, as everytime someone does something, it'd have to check against hundreds of "if this has happened, do this...". It will eventually process it within 24 hours, though.

As for why people can't upload custom avatars right away, it's a benefit of sticking around and participating. I don't consider 3 posts + 2 days too onerous.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What's so special about having an avatar anyway?!?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Some people like to personalize things a bit.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Does the system have something in place to prevent the installation of an animated avatar? Just curious.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Why, yes, it does. And they're not allowed.

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

As it should be then. Thanks.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for the info Daniel.

"Mamma don't allow..." is just the first line of a country song that came to my mind when reading the rules about the avatars, that was tongue in cheek, no offence intended.

Why an avatar? Well, it's easy to identify the posters if they have one, though I'm more into bonsai than maples specifically, so i'm not sure I'll post regularly here.

But this site is great, lots of info, wonderful pictures, and you can feel the passion for trees here.

So thanks for those who devote time to maintaining the site ;)

10. DC United Palm Fan

DC United Palm Fan Member

Hey everyone! Just signed up here. I have been posting over on "Garden Web" forums for almost 7 years now, and just found this one, so I figured I would join it. This one is MUCH more up to date, moder..etc than GW, but GW has an incredible, and incredibly large user base. Would be great to see this one grow that big too!

Anyway, Thanks for posting about the avatars, as the first thing I did was to try and figure out how to upload one. Glad its not 32bizillion posts! LOL! Thanks for the info!