Taking over my yard! Help

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by bobp, Apr 19, 2008.

1. bobp

bobp Member

Hi I'm a total novce and I've decided it's time to take care of my yard. So I'm trying to ID some of the problem areas. If anyone could tell me what this weed/ground cover this is it would be a great start and any suggestions how to get rid of it would really be appreciated. I don't mean to change the discussion so any answer at any time is great.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like carpet bugle (Ajuga). I've had some get in the lawn here and just left it, people often plant it in garden beds deliberately (as ground cover). I prefer lawns with other plants mixed in, much more interesting than 100% turfgrass.

3. bobp

bobp Member

Ron B

Thanks for the help I had a couple of spots but now it's about a third of my backyard. thanks again

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

You could try a hand bottle with a squirter and the correct Roundup mix or similar. Squirt each centre and you should see it go. I am doing that with some Dockweed and having success. Alternativley dig it up bit by bit.

Liz

5. bobp

bobp Member

Liz

Thanks for your help, Round Up certainly beats dig it up.

6. Liz

bobp,
    I just want to say I don't normally, or at least untill recent times, use poison of any ilk unless it was some of the home made remidies. But I am getting old and rickety and just can't dig some of this stuff out and my geese and chooks (chickens) are not keen eaters of dock in this case. So proably for your soils sake maybe digging is still a good way to go.
    Liz

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ajuga is not nearly as aggressive an invader as many other weeds. Digging is not an unreasonable option, though you may have to be vigilant for another year or two as it's hard to get it all in a single sweep. It's possible you could also smother it with a covering of newspaper and a load of topsoil - not sure. Of course you also lose the grass this way, but it won't survive digging real well either.

8. bobp

bobp Member

Liz and KarinL;

I can't believe how friendly you people are and all these years I've been wasting my time in the Bar, the yard is the place to be!

Thanks to both of you

9. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I'm late with my 2 cents, but here you go anyway: try pouring boiling water on the unwanted plants if digging is too onerous... it doesn't cost anything and won't be a concern for the groundwater, or for your kids and pets that may use the area. Household vinegar can work for some weeds - I've used boiling vinegar which descales my kettle at the same time (multitasking!) - alcohol/water or soapy water are also used to spray on a sunny day, where the sun helps to burn the sprayed foliage. Something will want to grow there, so once the offender has been removed, encourage something you do like to take it's place to discourage the return of the bad weed, by sowing or planting right away. Mulching with rocks, bark, etc or landscaping cloth is also an alternative to Roundup. As you can tell, I'm against using herbicides. If their role is to kill a living plant, they're bound to cause a lot more upset and imbalance for the whole garden than for just that weed. It may take a little more patience with the ways I've suggested, as in more than one application, but it's worth it. I've got bindweed in my veg garden and believe me, I'd love to have a magic bullet for that one! But I reckon digging it out, over and over, is about all I can do for now.

10. Liz

Well said BB. A good two cent's worth. I have only used the hotwater between the paving but can't see why it should not work for the wide areas. I agree if this is a problem area for grass growing why not turn it into more flower beds or shrubberies or paving... On the other hand maybe the soil needs a good dig up, clean out and feeding then re seeding with a suitable grass. I am over lawns or even cut grass areas. Too much water and work. But then again I guess I have my goose clipped paddock to go and sit and look at the view.

You are right it is a great list and it's amazing what I have learned. At least re the names of things :)

Liz