name this palm and pine

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by redster, Apr 18, 2008.

1. redster

redster Active Member

i just bought this house and i have no idea what these are...im debating whether i want to pull them out or not. i mainly need to know how big this palm can get, and what kinda root system im looking at digging up...

for extra credit figure out what cultivar of azelea is next to it...all i know is its pink.

thx

red

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Not sure about the palm, but the evergreen is most likely either a Juniper, a Cypress, or a Thuja spp. I've never ever known a pine to tolerate being trimmed like that.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Everything is too far away to recognize except the palm. And evergreen azalea cultivars are so numerous that probably nobody here will know yours without the flowers being present - although it is true I am able to recognize certain locally prevalent hybrid rhododendrons in leaf.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Phoenix roebelenii palm has a very heavy, dense root ball so you've got your work cut out for you if you decide to move it. They grow slowly so you could leave it there indefinitely.

HTH
    Chris

5. redster

redster Active Member

thanks for the thoughts, im probably going to leave the palm and dig out the pines for some kinda flowering bushes. its true i trimmed back that pine, or should i call it an evergreen??? but it wasnt a whole lot that came off of it, cant swear to what happened before i came around...

red

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd call it an evergreen....

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you post a close-up pic of the evergreen shrub?

8. redster

redster Active Member

after looking up the names yall gave me, i believe your right, the palm is Phoenix roebelenii, or miniature date palm, and the evergreen is some kinda thuja...ill try to get a better pic tomorrow

red