shiny brown larvae?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by KarinL, Apr 16, 2008.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I find these guys sometimes while digging, and never quite know whether to release them or... not. Anyone know what it is or might become?

Attached Files:

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Looks like wireworm, larva of the click beetle. They eat roots I think. I stomp 'em or hold either end and pull.

3. KarinL

Excuse my slowness in expressing my thanks - Thank you! This question has been (ahem) "bugging" me for over ten years but I've never found a good garden bug book and even once there were forums, it was tough to get good photos before modern digital cameras.

I don't have the stomach to pull, but I do have shoes :-)

4. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

There's a shiny black guy that moves quickly and can sometimes be seen wrestling an earthworm. It took me a long time to discover that it is the larva of the ground beetle. So even though I sympathize with the earthworm, I don't interfere with that one; he's a good guy.

5. KarinL

Yes, I did figure that one out a few years ago thanks. That's partly why I haven't been killing the wireworms; I guessed they were beetle larvae of some sort and didn't want to hurt anything beneficial. I get quite a kick out of ground beetles, actually; they are such hapless-looking creatures and have the worst luck in terms of hanging out wherever I plan to be digging on any given day.