Slugs love my mulch?!? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by avocado, Apr 14, 2008.

1. avocado

avocado Member

Last fall I purchased a young avocado tree and planted it in my backyard. Few weeks ago, I placed some mulch around the tree. In the mornings when I go out and look, I can see many slugs on top of the mulch, just laying about, relaxing. Is this normal? Do these slugs cause any harm to the roots? Should I get some pesticides? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Surround the base of the tree with copper mesh to keep 'em off the tree. This should be findable at your local hardware, or if not then Lee Valley Vertias carries it.

Are you noticing slug-munch on other plants? They don't usually go after roots, but they will snarfle down leaves like there's no tomorrow. If this is the case, copper mesh around the affected plants will keep them at bay. Other than that, I'd personally leave them be, since they do attract birds and also play a good role as decomposers.

3. avocado

avocado Member

No, they don't climb up the tree. They seem to eat the surrounding weeds' leaves.

If they are good decomposers, then I should keep'em about. Thanks.

4. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

To keep slugs and snails away from a specific plant I have found that diatomaceous earth, in a narrow band around the plant, works well. It does need replacing after watering (I live in southern California rain is not a problem)