Brown scale-like spots

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by TotalAlina, Apr 13, 2008.

1. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

Dear All,

I've had this ivy plant for a year. It was bought nice and big, but then parts of it started shriveling and dying off. The older leaves and the stems were covered by little (1mm) brown scale-like spots and were kind of sticky. They could be easily removed by rubbing the leaf with fingers, so I washed the plant with water and removed each and every single one. I also made cuttings, just in case. The plant died about half a year after I first bought it. Many cuttings successfully produced roots, but only one eventually survived. The other ones died with brown spots and sticky goo all over.

My surviving cutting is now showing the same spots (see attached picture). The younger top leaves do not have them, and the older leaves are covered by them (and so is the bottom of the stem). You can also see little droplets of clear fluid, which is that sticky thing. The plant that lives on the same table next to the ivy also has these brown spots, and its twin also died a few months ago.

Any ideas what this is and how to fight this? Is it related to gnats? We had a lot last summer, then they subsided in winter, and they seem to be getting more active lately.

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Attached Files:

• ubc.jpg
      ubc.jpg
      File size:
      233.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It looks like soft brown scale. They excrete the "sticky goo" as they feed on the plant. Treat with insecticidal soap but first check the label to make sure it's safe for this plant. The adult scale that you see should be physically removed prior to treatment.