control of white morning glory

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by mcgooley, Apr 12, 2008.

1. mcgooley

mcgooley Member

First time to UBC site.

My garden is completely infested with white morning glory. I'm 60 years old and have some back problems which makes a lot of digging also a problem! The "weed" is both in large "stand alone" areas as well as having found it's way into my other garden beds (old established garden of helebors and Japanese wind flowers), etc. etc.

I started by completely digging large areas and then sieving the soil - it still came back. My intention was then to poison the new growth, but had a serious car accident. In that time it has re-infested. For this area, I plan to poison again, but I think I will need to wait until spring (we are well into autumn "down under" so it is dying back)

In the areas where it has infiltrated my other garden beds - I have absolutely no idea how to kill it.

Any suggestions appreciated - and any sympathy appreciated also!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Poke around on the site here, and you may find some old threads on dealing with this plant. The key to success is, I think, persistence over a period of years. Digging again, poisoning again (when warmer if you're using Roundup), and rigorously pulling any bit of leaf for a long time all might play a role. Sorry that's just a start.

3. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

2,4-D would be the herbicide of choice for a contact spray of Morning Glory. Carefully pulling it off the plants and laying the foliage on the lawn or bare dirt, you could spray with 2,4-D. The stand alone areas, just carefully spray to not hit any other plants.

Possible other option since it is going dormant for the winter could be to remove what you can and go with a premergent herbicide like Devrinol or Casoron if these are available in you area. This can prevent it from growing in the areas treated in late winter.

It is very important to have a solid understanding of the products you use if you chose to use herbicides at all.

4. mcgooley

mcgooley Member

Thanks for feedback. I'm currently digging up all garden beds known to be affected, so come spring I can just tackle new shoots with herbicide. Large areas I intend to spray once more before winter sets in and then resume come spring.

It's a big job for old lady - no help from the old man I might add! But I have been convinced that with a lot of hard work and perseverance I will win.

Kirsten