Star of Bethlehem

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by bonnierose, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bonnierose

bonnierose Member

When I moved into my house there were just a few of these plants which resemble garlic when they first emerge and then bloom with a small white flower. My mother told me they were "star of bethlehem"

In the last few years they have multiplied to the point that I spend hours removing them from my flower beds.

I would appreciate any help on eradicating this pest.

Thank You

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i had one of those - it showed up in the lawn last year. i thought it was very nice - such an tiny flower and so unexpected.

i tried moving it (it kept getting cut down when i did the lawn) and i haven't seen it growing - even though there were more than a half dozen bulbs that i moved.

i'll take some of what you have - if you're willing to dig up a dozen or so. i'll send you postage costs, too. (if we were closer, i'd come over myself and do the digging :) )

as for getting rid of them completely, other than doing a ton of digging (and you'd still miss some of the bulbs anyway) the only thing you can do that won't damage the other plants in the beds is to pull the leaves off - it will probably take all season and maybe some time early next year too for the bulbs to completely die off.

3. bonnierose

bonnierose Member

You may have all you want just send me a mailing address. Careful, I have pulled the leaves off for years and they still come back.

Bonnie