Bugs on Pencil Cactus

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by spruitt, Apr 5, 2008.

1. spruitt

spruitt Member

A medium size, very bushy plant I just bought a few weeks ago is infested with small, white flying bugs. It's outside on an enclosed patio with my other pencil cactus plant which is not as bushy. The older plant is not infected. Does anyone know what these bugs are and especially how I can get rid of them? Thanks for any help

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

sounds like aphids. rubbing alcohol mixed with water and sprayed on will help. cover the soil with plastic before you spray. you'll have to do repeat treatments - and keep an eye on the other plant as that's likely to become infested as well.

3. spruitt

spruitt Member

Thanks so much for your reply. What proportions: half & half ? or what?

4. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

More like whiteflies, but the cure is probably the same, though there are also some special products commercially available.
    For more see: http://www.pestproducts.com/whiteflies.htm

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, could be whitefly, too.

you can do a mix of half-half of the alcohol/water - sorry, should have specified that before! make sure to cover the soil as you don't want the rubbing alcohol to saturate it. it won't harm the plant at all - it'll dissipate before any damage is done...not the same when dealing with the soil though.

there are sprays out there for aphids and other bugs. i only use the commercial products on stuff that is outdoors. for inside plants i stick with non-harsh chemical things. just my preference.

6. Olafhenny

PS:
    I hope, that the cure joclyn proposed will work for you, since it is not particularly costly and such 'home remedies' often outperform commercial products. If not, in view of the complications the life cycles of whiteflies pose which are outlined in the URL I provided and the hassle resulting from it, you may be better off to chug the plant and instead of buying the recommended chemicals, use that money as a down payment toward a new plant.

Having said that, I did have a whitefly problem a couple of decades ago and did get rid of it, but I can't remember how. :(
    Good luck,
    Olaf

7. spruitt

spruitt Member

I appreciate the help from both of you. I bought rubbing alcohol and a small spray bottle today, but I haven't applied it yet. I plan to do it tomorrow after work. It's funny, but I looked at the plant today and when I moved the branches around, no bugs flew out like before. I'm still going to spray, though. In fact, I'll also spray my pencil cactus that doesn't show signs of infestation. Thanks again.

(I never mentioned that I live in Las Vegas where's it's very dry......don't know if that means anything when it comes to pests/bugs.) These plants are really outside - the patio has three full walls, one waist-high wall and a full roof. I did bring the other one inside this winter and it did well.....keeps growing and growing. I really love these plants. When I lived in Cincinanti I had one inside pencil cactus that was almost 6' tall. I've always called them my "stick plants". I used to decorate the tall one at Christmas!

8. Olafhenny

Most pests, and that includes whiteflies, are unfortunately not particularly picky in which climate they ruin your favourite plants :)

Good luck!
    Olaf