UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Araceae

Araceae Aroids - Growing, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old April 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Collector of Rare Araceae (deceased)

Philodendron 'Brazil' is truly Philodendron hederaceum

If you hang around aroids long enough you'll learn something new. Today, I learned something new.

I often have collectors send me a cutting of a plant and ask that I help with an identification. Just over a year ago someone sent me a cutting of a plant they called Scindapsus. There is a genus in Asia known as Scindapsus and I just assumed the plant was a member of that genus. I did a bit of searching at that time but didn't find anything promising. Today I became curious and decided I'd try to find out what it truly is. And to my surprise, all the experts on Aroid l identified it as Philodendron 'Brazil'. And even more surprising, Philodendron 'Brazil' is a cultivar (registered) of Philodendron hederaceum. The same species that now contains Philodendron oxycardium, Philodendron scandens, Philodendron micans, Philodendron miduhoi and a bunch of other names.

This species has confused people for over 150 years and is still confusing me! But I'm trying to understand. If you find it interesting this may help:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Phil...ceum%20pc.html
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philodendron-brazil.gif
Views:	155
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	36141  
Corresponding Secretary, International Aroid Society To join the IAS visit www.Aroid.org

Last edited by photopro; May 24th, 2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
purple plant enthusiast

Re: Philodendron 'Brazil' is truly Philodendron hederaceum

just from the shape of the leaves and the growth pattern, i'd have said it was the same as the 'scandens' that i'd gotten a cutting of...looks identical except for the coloring.

that cutting never did take off...hung in there for a while then finally died. i was looking forward to keeping it in the 'juvenile' state as i just loved the purple tones on the leaves.

very, very cool that you found that the 'brazil' is the same as all the rest! looks like there will be more added, too, as new info is garnered.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM

You are certainly correct Joclyn. The difference that made me wonder what it might be, and if it was something entirely different, was the fact the plant had glossy leaves. Philodendron hederaceum and almost all the plants known by names such as scandens, oxycardium, micans and others have velvet or matte leaves. That threw me for a loop. But, just like all the rest, this is just a variation of Philodendron hederaceum.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
purple plant enthusiast

yes, that was one of the things i really liked about the 'scandens'!! the velvetyness (is that a word?! ;) ) of the leaves. a really, really nice difference from what you usually have with plants!

the leaf shape of the 'brazil' was the tell for me.
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM

I had to put up a new link to my webpage since the link was broken due a server error:

Old May 26th, 2008, 04:37 AM

The link I gave was broken due to a server error. This is the new link:

Post New ThreadReply