Plums

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 7, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

First posting in 2008

Even though we're the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival, plums have their very vocal fans, and they really do have quite a huge presence on our streets, signaling the beginning of spring as much and in some places more than the cherries. As well, most people think they're cherries.

So here's a thread devoted to our great plums. For a start, see the Plums thread in the Ornamental Cherry Cultivar Identification Forum for a description and photos. Postings to that forum are for identification purposes. In this forum, post locations and photos so people know where to go to find them (not that it's hard in Vancouver - they're all over the place, but some locations are outstanding, so post those ones). And please don't (knowingly) post plum photos in the neighbourhood threads.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. Bob Loveless

Bob Loveless Active Member

Date - Wednesday March 12th
    Neighbourhood - Marpole
    Location - Osler Street between Park Drive & 59th Avenue
    Status - Starting to flower
    20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_021.jpg 20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_022.jpg 20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_019.jpg 20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_025.jpg 20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_036.jpg
    Note - Vancouver Parks Board has alternated cherry & plum trees in this block (see my post in Marpole). The plum tree below is framed by an Akebono tree.
    20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_049.jpg

Location - 67th Avenue northside near Hudson Street
    Status - Numberous flowers have burst open ... in one day I have noticed a difference.
    20080312_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_056.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  3. wcutler

The West End is rife with plums. Though the white ones are not fully out, they look their best right now before the leaves come out and obscure the blossoms and darken the overall look. Here are some plums on Comox near Chilco, with emerging Accolade cherries in the background.
    20080313_Comox_Plum_Accolade_Cutler_0308r.jpg

This white one on Cardero St has green leaves, so has a brighter overall look. I wondered what this was last year, but now that I know to look for the single stems off the branches, I was able to tell right away.
    20080313_Cardero_Plum_Cutler_0340r.jpg 20080313_Cardero_Plum_Cutler_0341r.jpg

On the Ornamental Cultivars Identification Forum in the Plums thread, Ron B identified this tree on Bute St. as Prunus x blireiana.
    20080312_Bute_Plum_Cutler_0233.jpg 20080312_Bute_Plum_Cutler_0234.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  4. Bob Loveless

Date - Monday March 17th
    Neighbourhood - Marpole
    Status - 50%-60% of each tree in flower

I don't know if the cool, cloudy weather has anything to do with it, but the plum trees that I have seen in Marpole have not changed much in the past 5 days.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. Anne Carten

Anne Carten Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Re: Downtown Art Gallery

The plums in front of the Art Gallery on West Georgia are 50% out. There was a protest against seal slaughter and the fountain was full of soap suds blowing in the wind- that accounts for the white fluff in the air.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  6. wcutler

The purple-leafed pink plums are out in the West End now, so we'll get lots of reports of these "cherries" soon.

Attached Files:

7. Bob Loveless

Date: March 18, 2008

I took a wider sweep of the Marpole area today. All the plums I observed both east and west of Oak Street (from about 70th to 54th Avenue) had about 60-70% of their blossoms in bloom.

8. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

A Beautiful Old Purple-Leaved Plum

I found a very beautiful old plum tree in Kitsilano Beach Park.

20080318_Cornwall&W.PointGray_Plum_Izaki_022A.JPG 20080318_Cornwall&W.PointGray_Plum_Izaki_028A.JPG

These are pictures of a same tree. But it looks very different from where you see.

It is located near the South-West corner of the park (near the corner of Cornwall Ave. & Point Grey Road) It has a very wonderful, unique shape and it started blooming rather earlier than other plum trees. It's already at peak bloom.
    And the flowers are very white and flowers started blooming before the leaves came.
    So I first thought it was not Purple-leaved Plum.
    But now leaves are opening and they are purple.

20080314_Cornwall.Ave_Prums_Izaki 010A.JPG 20080314_Cornwall.Ave_Prums_Izaki 016A.JPG

These are pictures of the same tree I took last week.
    When you see the right side picture very precisely, you can know the flowers of the plum tree come out from the stem separately and very regularly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  9. wcutler

Great photos of a great tree - thanks, Mariko.

Here's a tree I saw today that I really like because of the colour, which was an unusually warm pink, like Ichiyo cherry blossoms. It's in the middle of a lane that runs between Thurlow and Bute, between Harwood and Beach. Usually I like the all the urban trappings in the photos, but this setting really does nothing for such nice trees or the photo. What a great find, though, in a lane like this, and what a nice thing for the people whose apartments face out onto the lane.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  10. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

Hundreds of pink purple leaved plum are blooming 30% in Arbutus Ridge Community surrounded by King Edward Ave., MacDonald St., 16 Ave. and Arbutus Street, Vancouver. You will also find double flowering plum in this community. Deep pink Nigra plum will start to bloom one week later. More photos foryour appreciation at http://www.greenclub.bc.ca/Chinese/Experience/Nature_Photography/Spring/C4/c4.htm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  11. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Re: Plums 1700 Barclay

I took these photos of plum blossoms on Barclay west of Thurlow last Saturday March 15. I love the bright white petals and the cheery bristly anthers.
    Probably Prunus cerasifera "Cherry Plum" => wikipedia article

Attached Files:

12. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Re: Downtown Art Gallery

Here's a closeup taken the same day of one of those plums showing rough greyish bark, coppery leaves, and elegant rounded 5-petal flowers looking exactly like the Festival's icon.

Attached Files:

13. Mayling Chang

Mayling Chang Active Member

Hi, Here is from Killarney neighbourhood. Willy and Mayling spotted plums but not cherries on the following nine locations in the East Vancouver on Saturday. Those white plum trees are just blooming with less than 40%, so we will continue to share with you the change.

1. Location: E52Ave between Doman and Mckinnon: Ten white plums trees with 10% blooming, still a few flowers fallen.
    2. E51Ave between Doman and Kerr: 5 white Plums at 10% blooming, Five red with 2% blooming.
    3. E50Ave between Doman and Kerr: 14 white Plums at 20% flowers
    4. E48Ave Between Doman and Kerr: 9 red plums but no flowers yet
    5. E46Ave Between Doman and Tyne 18 white plums at 20% flowers
    6. E45Ave Between Kerr and Rupert: 4 white plums at 40% flowers
    7 Brooks Street between E46Ave and E54 Ave: 68 white Plums trees at 20% flowers and 30 red plums trees on the both side walks. The white and red cross planted on the road sides with a very high density.
    8. Arlington Between E43rd and E45th Avenue: 19 red plums trees but no flowers yet
    9. Lancaster between E41st and E45th Avenue: 35 white plum trees at 40% blooming and 3 red with 0%.

Attached Files:

14. wcutler

Joseph, I hope you don't want us to post all 17,000 of these. All these Arbutus Ridge streets look about the same - plums as far as the eye can see. These are from 22nd at MacDonald and 19th at MacKenzie. Well, there will be pink ones too.

Attached Files:

15. wangalex

wangalex Member

Scout Report 2008-03-25

There are 11 big plum trees on Laurl St at West King Edward
    (Emily Carr Elementary School).

Time: Mar-25, around 15:30, Cloudy
    Blossom: About 1/3 of Full Bloom.
    Photo: 2pcs

Attached Files:

16. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As light a pink as the double-flowered one on Bute St looks in these pictures it might turn out to be P. x blireiana 'Moseri' if checked. If flowering specimens of P. x blireiana and P. x blireiana 'Moseri' could be collected and compared with this one it should be immediately apparent where it falls.

MOSERI (x) is like 'Blireiana' in origin and in general, but makes a larger, more open tree, and has paler pink flowers. It has also been sold as 'Veitchii' and as 'Light Pink Blireiana'. Alfred Rehder gives 'Boehmeri' as a supposed but uncertain synonym on page 321a of his Bibliography of Cultivated Trees and Shrubs

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-PurpleleafPlumTrees.html

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  17. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Fraternal twin Plums (one white, one pink) on the southeast corner of Quebec and 15 (Mount Pleasant neighbourhood) and Kensington/Cedar Cottage's E. 28th Avenue lined with plums from Knight Street to St. George, as well as some of the streets radiating off E. 28 (i.e. Prince Albert, Harriet).

Attached Files:

18. Mayling Chang

Plums in Killarney/ Champlain Heights. Best Regards. Mayling & Willy

New added
    1. Location: Butler Street between 49th and 54th Ave E.
    2. Location: E59th Ave. between Kerr and Rupert, 30 red plum trees
    Date: Mar 24, 2008

20080324_E59_PlumRed_M&SU_131_3153.JPG

Update of Lancaster :
    20080327_Lancaster_Plum_M&W.SU_131_3168.JPG

19. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fraternal twins are purpleleaf plum overwhelmed by uncontrolled sprouting of cherry plum rootstock. An often-seen similar combination is 'Kanzan' Japanese cherry (and others) supplanted by sweet cherry rootstock.

20. Bob Loveless

Date - March 27, 2008
    Plum Tree Type - Prunus Cerasifera Nigra
    Location - Cartier Street near 59th Avenue

There are many of these trees in this part of Marpole that are in full bloom.

20080327_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_016.jpg 20080327_Marpole_Plum_Loveless_015.jpg

21. Mayling Chang

Plum trees are blossom and widely planted from north 41st Ave down to south SE Marine Dr. in between Victoria Dr and Fraserview Golf Courses. The flowers are like sea and as far as you can see. We hardly found cherries in this neighbourhood. --Mar 29, 2008

22. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Peaceful repose among the Plums at Mountainview Cemetery, northwest section of Fraser and E. 33 Ave.

Plum-Lined E. 28 Avenue between Fraser and St. George. The E. 28 plum line runs from St. George eastward towards Knight.

Attached Files:

23. Mayling Chang

One double flower was found in the neighbourhood of Champlain Heights. Date: 3/30/08

20080330_Champlain_d.plum_M&W.Su_132_3275.jpg 20080330_Champlain_d.plum_M&W.Su_132_3276.jpg

24. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

It looks like double purple-leaved plum 'Blireiana', which is the hybrid between purple-leaved plum and Prunus mumi.

Attached Files:

25. Anne Carten

Anne Carten Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Re: Tony McNaughton Memorial Plum Coal Harbor at the Bayshore

The lovely plum tree planted to honor Tony McNaughton is in full bloom. You can see this plum as you walk the seawall past the Bayshore at Coal Harbor. Tony was killed saving the life of an employee at the Starbucks on Robson street. Every year I watch this plum blossom and I am glad to have an opportunity to post the pictures today so we are reminded of the goodness and generosity of this man.

Attached Files: