Pony-tail flowers

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by debham, Jan 27, 2008.

1. debham

debham Member

I have 3 large pony-tails out the front and 2 out the back. One (picture attached) has just finished flowering with 12 large heads covered with tiny white flowers which the bees have loved and the flowers have spread everywhere around the palm. The 1st picture was taken mid December before the flowers fully opened and the heads had just appeared. The other 4 are now also flowering, only the heads are different, they contain seeds . I have not noticed the difference before.

My large pony-tail (picture attached) is 20 years old and was relocated from our back yard in 2005. It has divided over 30 times and flowered last Xmas after the relocation also.

Picture on left was taken Dec 2007. 2nd picture was taken in Jan 2004 during flowering when in back yard and before relocation.

I have updated the following links with information I have learnt this season.
    see
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=122744#post122744
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=122752#post122752

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. clevelandi

clevelandi Member

I believe Beaucarnea is a dioecious genus. So what you may be seeing are male and female flowers. Or not:) They look fabulous anyway.

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Awesome photos!

In the Caudiciform & Pachycaul Tree forum, we have a Photo Gallery. If at all possible could you post these photos in the Beaucarnea/Nolina gallery. I have a few small plants that I have photographed. Your photos, especially larger plants in bloom, would be a very welcome addition.

Mark

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

You have some pretty impressive specimens in your garden!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

What about posting the pictures in the Botany Photo of the Day Submission forum - it would be nice if Daniel can add your pictures to the archives of Botany Picture of the Day.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very, very nice - I'd certainly be interested in using these on BPotD with your permission.

6. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

You are correct. Male and female flowers.
    http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/bea-rec-sub.asp

I am not sure which flower heads are male or female.