Cryptocereus anthonyanus (rick rack cactus)

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Bluewing, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I've had this plant for a few years now. It's planted in cactus soil with lots of Perlite added, but, it just seems like it's limping along. It gets watered well when the soil is dry. I see other people's "Crypt's" and they are so nice and healthy looking!
    Would it maybe do better planted in orchid bark chips? I know it could use a little more bright light (indirect) as well.

Thanks!

2. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Active Member

It originates from Mexico, so you need ideally to replicate Mexican desert conditions. Dry, lots of sunlight, and "poor" soil. That much said, how long has it been since you re-potted it? Soil eventually becomes barren and useless as the plant sucks all the nutrients out of it. You can resolve this to an extent with fertilizer, but new soil is best. Also as the roots grow, in time, you end up with more roots than earth! The solution is a bigger pot.

But light is an important factor too. It'll appreciate a sunnier position.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Whoa Nelly. You might want to check those cultural conditions. Some Mexican cacti are forest cacti, and not desert cacti, therefore not poor soil and dry conditions. I'm not sure here, but you might want to google that...

4. Bluewing

The last time it was repotted was like a year ago. It has very good drainage and the pot size is ok, not too big, not too small. Yes, it might just be a light issure, not sure, but I'll try giving it more in the spring and see what happens.

Thanks!

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Bluewing, mine gets full sun for 6 hours of the day. It is probably too much, but it doesn't mind. I have mine in normal organic soil, which is probably a mistake, but no sign of root rot yet. Mine has not flowered yet.

Ed

6. Bluewing

Thanks Ed!

I always thought these plants liked indirect light, at least that's what I have always read, otherwise they would burn, but if yours can take 6 hours, boy, was I wrong! The winter sun has started to come out again a few times here on the hill. With a mountain of woods near by, it might be another month before it can get a lot better light and then hopefully, it will do much, much better!

7. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Active Member

Not many plants will do well without direct light. Plants can burn if you place them in a window in direct, strong, hot sun for long periods -- the glass tends to magnify the rays like a magnifying glass, so you need to keep an eye on them in summer. But I doubt you'll have a problem in upstate NY in January!

8. Bluewing

Not a snowballs chance in NY in cold, gloomy, January!

Thanks Cactus Jack for replying! I'll certainly keep an eye on it...