Beaucarnea recurvata

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by alyssa, Dec 3, 2007.

1. alyssa

alyssa Member

Hello there,

I have a Beaucarnea recurvata I bought last summer. It's a beautiful plant I enjoyed so much. Now this plant is dying because I didn't not protect it from frost.

I live in Maryland. Fall was so warm and we had an abrupt change in the weather. Is there a chance I could get this plant back to life? Please help.

thanks so much!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Beaucarnea are extremely tolerant plants. The typical thing that happens with severe cold damage is that the foliage simply dies off. Most people think the plant is dead and throw it into the compost pile...only to find the plant growing new foliage in the Spring. Surprise!

If the foliage is that damaged you can simply cut the crown and wait. Do not try to water it and make it grow over the winter,...it probably will not, as it will be in it's dormant period and you will end up with root rot. Water very lightly every few weeks if the soil is dry, otherwise let it be.

New sprouts will likely form in the Spring, sometimes several, and will take a few years for the plant to fill out again.