Silver Sword

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by newsflash66, Oct 30, 2007.

1. newsflash66

newsflash66 Member

This is an interesting plant. It grows in high elevations and I believe is quite rare. I can see what appears to be a stalk where flowers would grow, but I've never seen them. This picture was taken in March 2007 at about 10,000 ft elevation on Mauna Kea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Botanically Argyroxiphium sandwicense.

"The botanical name of the genus, Argyroxiphium, consists of two parts from the Greek, "argyros" = silver and "xiphium" = dagger, in reference to the long, dagger- or sword-like leaves covered in fine, silky hairs which give them a silvery appearance. The hairs serve an important function in protecting the leaves from the full impact of bright sunlight at the elevations where this species lives, in the neighborhood of 9,000 to 10,000 feet on Mauna Kea on Hawai'i and Haleakala on East Maui. They also serve as protection against desiccation, a serious problem at higher elevations, where, in addition to strong sunlight, a plant is frequently subjected to strong winds. The specific epithet (some people call this the "species name") sandwicense reflects the geographic origin of the species, the Sandwich Islands."

--B.A. Bohm, Hawai'i's Native Plants

The flowers are daisies with unimpressive small ray florets.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Interesting plant isit a succulent of sorts??

Ed

4. newsflash66

newsflash66 Member

I believe so...this article on a similar plant is identified as succulent.
    [WIKI]Haleakala Silversword[/WIKI]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2007
  5. birdlover210

birdlover210 Member

What an AWESOME picture! How in the world did you get all the way up there to take the picture? You'd have to have a 4x4 Jeep or something...

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years