Any hope for my Japanese Maple? Help!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jillyup, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jillyup

jillyup Member

Hi. I just moved into a house in New York that has 2 Japanese Maples (among 3) that look pretty bad. I've attached 2 photos of the one that has brown on the edges of the leaves and some sort of disease on the bark. (The other looks like there should be more leaves, but doesn't show signs of any other issue). Any thoughts on what I can do, if anything, to save this one or what the disease is? Thanks! jill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Believe it is lichen on the bark , harmless as far as I know. Leaves a little stressed, maybe lacked water a little or a little too much sun. No expert here, just don't notice anything too serious.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, that is lichen. It won't hurt the maple, best left alone.

The maple looks fine, for the season, normal that it be a bit crispy.

-E

4. jillyup

jillyup Member

Thanks - both of you. After having lived in an apartment my whole life, I feel like a fish out of water with no clue at all how to deal with my beautiful trees! It's good to know that the maple isn't dying - whew.

I also have questions around proper pruning technique. Should I cut branches that clearly have no leaves at all? And, in general, are there any clear 'no-no's' around pruning these types of trees?

Thanks in advance.

jill

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi if the branch are dry prune a little ,if the branch not have leaves but have the bud no prune!I agree with C & E is a lichen ;in general for Jm prune is not necessary .....alex