bromiliad care

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bromiliada12345, Sep 21, 2007.

1. bromiliada12345

bromiliada12345 Member

i inherited a bromoliad plant and would like to know what conditions it thrives at and how to care for it .. poor thing was in southern exposure window in full sunlight for months and has leaves and flower petals abit burned ... I live in Ontario on lake Ontario east of Oshawa

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

If its burning try indirect light, well drained soil and water in the top cone only, not the soil. Broms are mostly epiphytes, so they grow on trees etc, not in soil.

Good Luck

Ed

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

If it was burning in the sunlight it was likely not acclimated properly. Growers often produce them is indirect light. In the rain forest of South America these plants grow in the top of the canopy under the direct sunlight. Go rent a copy of the movie Medicine Man with Sean Connery and you can see them for yourself. Bromeliads are a major part of the premise of the movie. The glass itself may have also been intensifying the sun's rays.

Rather than totally repeat what I wrote just a few days ago regarding this subject please click on this thread on UBC. You'll see a photo of bromeliads growing in a tree in direct mid-day sun and an explanation as to how they grow in nature. Just last weekend I saw at least 1000 of them growing in direct sun and they were all as happy as they could be!

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=31517&highlight=bromeliad

But Ed is right, if it is already burning move it to less bright light and then slowly re-adjust it back to the bright light. Once it is adjusted you'll see brighter colors and better growth. Promise, nature grows them in the direct sun all the time!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007