Identification: Can you help me identify this houseplant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jennhoule, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jennhoule

jennhoule Member

I have a plant that has been in the same spot for about 4 years, and has just bloomed for the first time with the most interesting flowers. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. jennhoule

jennhoule Member

That's it! Thank you so much!

4. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

I also had one of those plants, its common name was "Lipstick Plant" for obvious reasons. It was magnificent, but after a while it gradually died off. The plant flowered soon after I bought it & kept flowering. Then leaves started dropping off & I would prune it, new branches sprouted, their leaves would drop & so on, despite the very best of care, until there was not much left of the plant. Perhaps it was affected by salt spray as we live close to the ocean. Who knows?? Your photos stirred the old memory box. When I saw them it was aha!! I had one of those!! I most certainly hope you have much more success with it than I did with mine. Thankyou for the lovely photos.

5. jennhoule

jennhoule Member

Yes, the plant is magnificent. I have never had mine bloom until now- and I've had it for over 4 years. I keep it indoors- because I live in Minnesota.I'm thinking it might be blooming because it is root bound?
    I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

6. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

Mine was kept indoors also & in a similar position as your plant appears to be in. The windows were floor to ceiling & full width, a.m. sun, ideal one would think for most house plants. There was no sign of disease or insect damage, just leaves (green) falling off. As I said, it may have been the salt air, ah well. Re the possibility of your plant being rootbound, doesn,t this type of trailing plant tend to grow in fairly confined spaces in its natural environment? It looks like something that would be quite at home in tropical or sub-tropical rainfotest, doesn't it ? It would certainly not be an easy operation re-potting it. Not one I would fancy having to do, unless it was absolutely necessary!!! Hope you continue to enjoy your plant & it keeps on flowering now that it knows how to!! :D Thanks again for your photos.