how to transplant a wandering jew without breaking it off

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by babygurl6162008, Sep 17, 2007.

1. babygurl6162008

babygurl6162008 Member

i recently tried to transplant by wandering jew into a bigger pot and all the steams broke off so i had to put them in water and try again i was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to easily transplant them without breaking off the steams

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Any stems that broke off could easily be rooted back in with the mother, and the rooted sections still in the soil (if they are) from the broken stems would send up new stems.
    When repotting you can try watering a little bit first or a few days before, loosening the soil around the inside of the pot with something like a butter knife, go all the way down to the bottom if you can keeping the knife right up against the inside wall as you go around in a circle. Then, hold the pot almost upside down at an angle hitting the sides of the pot with your other hand. The rootball should fall right out into your hand if it was loosened enough.
    Replant any broken stems back in with the mother in it's new pot. I like using a pencil to make the holes for the stems
    Or, take lots of stem cuttings and start a whole new plant.