I need help! Palm Tree issues..

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by cdschulte, Sep 14, 2007.

1. cdschulte

cdschulte Member

I have a Palm tree that is 20 yrs old, started as a seed brought from FL buy a relative. It has grown to be nearly 14 feet high, and its getting too big for our home. We dont want to loose it, but want to cut it down smaller somehow. We have had it outside all Summer, but its time to bring her in...(we live in Wisconsin). Two years ago I transplanted her to a very large and tall pot about 3 feet wide..3 feet tall..its just too big..Our celiling is high enough, but I dont want this enormous pot in our living room.

How shall I cut it down ..the trunk....limbs etc?? We are so lost on this, but its very special to us, as the felative who brought the seed has passed away. We want to save this plant for years to come, but minimize it somehow.

Any help would be greatly appriceated! Thank you! Cheryl in WI...

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

You could perhaps try a slightly shorter pot, but that would undoubtedly take some root pruning. If it's a feather-leaf palm (perhaps a Queen, Syagrus romanzoffiana, you can shorten the leaves ("limbs"). Otherwise, you may need a higher-ceilinged room.

Could you post a photo?

3. cdschulte

cdschulte Member

I will take a pic tomorrow and send it...its already in a room with a 20 ft ceiling...the height is not so much a problem..and the size of the pot. Wondering if I really need a pot so wide ..I can see maybe needing the height of the pot..but did not know. THks for your reply..I will send a pic tomorrow! Thnk U!

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

My best guess is that the palm has filled the pot by now. The UBC forum seems to have some remarkable indoor plant people. You could also try Palmtalk (International Palm Society), and we have some potted palm whizzes here in Florida. The gardening forum at 2ndlight.com has some very capable folks. I picked up three palms and a cycad at a member's place this morning. Good luck!