Identification: cactus?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by mcat, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mcat

mcat Member

Hello, i received this plant a few years ago from a neighbour. It was just starting out when she gave it to me, was quite tiny, and she had no idea what it was, but thought it was a cactus of some sort. I love this little plant and would like to find out what it actually is. I just bought a new pot, about twice the size of the one it's in now, so i can give it some more room to grow. I don't really want it to grow huge but if thats what it wants to do than i don't want to keep it trapped in the tiny pot it's in. It went cliff-diving off the side of my desk last year which is where the couple of broken leaves came from :/

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like some type of Sansevieria, possibly a dwarf cultivar or maybe just limited by the pot size, but the short leaves make me think it probably naturally a small type.

3. mcat

mcat Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I searched the net for more info, now that i have some idea of what to search for, and yes that seems to be what it is though i'm not sure exactly what type it is. I'll be transplanting it to it's new pot soon and we'll see what happens from there. Hopefully it'll be even happier in a bigger pot with some fresh soil. Thanks again :)

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The pot size it's in now seems perfect for the plants size so, if you want to change to another pot, keep it at or around the same size since plants like to be on the snug size, or it could rot down the road.