Columnar evergreen suggestions

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by gunner774, Sep 2, 2007.

1. gunner774

gunner774 Member

Re: Need help.

I live on a hillside with a diagonal slope relative to a 200 x 200 feet lot. I had my side yard terraced with a wall of manufactured interlocking stone from 0 feet to 8 feet. The abuting back yard wall went from 8 feet to 0 feet across the back. Woods separate the back wall from my neighbor there, however the side wall is exposed to my side yard neighbor. I wish to soften the exposure to that neighbor and want to plant columnar evergreens. ANY SUGGESTIONS as to type(s) and planting distances?
    E-mail me at gunner774@yahoo.com please.
    Thank you.

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I hope you plan to come back here to check for responses as posting them rather than emailing gives others with similar questions a chance to learn from your question as well, and gives responders a chance to interject, supplement, and if necessary correct, each others' advice without each of them having to repeat the same thing. We're all here on our own time, and so need to make the best of it.

It sounds as though you aren't after anything botanically spectacular, so there isn't really any reason why you can't just check what your local nursery has in stock or can get for you, and plant as they recommend. It is an excellent time of year to plant as long as the plants can get established before your first frost, although the nurseries might not have too much stock... but worth a try.

I'm assuming, incidentally, that you want a row of identical plants. That will present a fairly formal look which may or may not go well with the rest of your property. If you do want a variety, there is a good variety of columnar evergreens (coniferous and broadleaved) available, but sourcing them may involve mail order.

Screen plantings need not be right at the boundary with the neighbour. They can be at the top of the wall if that is some distance from the boundary, or staggered in between, which would relieve the columnar requirement. One advantage of not planting at the property line is that you can get around behind your hedge to maintain it from the neighbour's side.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Would groups of 3, 7, 10 work?

Or do you want rows?

Size or height limit?

4. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

My question would be since you are asking M.D. Vaden. Are Emerald Green Arborvitaes or other types cause a problem of a 5 ft radius that one is unable to plant anything next to it?

I read that somewhere on a hedging or hiding unsightly views post. Is this correct as I sort of have the same problem as the poster. Yet different.