Zone of the Cardiocrinum giganteum?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by bluelily, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bluelily

bluelily Member

I just saw a picture of a Cardiocrinum giganteum Wow
    It was from BC and other pictures on the internet seem to come from Britain.
    I cannot find a zone for this plant or a common name. I am hoping I could grow it in Edmonton... eternal optomist what can I say. Do I have a hope?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

C. giganteum is generally considered a zone 7 bulb. The much shorter, but similar C. cordatum var. glehnii is much hardier...down to zone 4 or 5 (maybe colder with protection).

Growing giant Himalayan lilies

3. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I planted one of these years ago and it never came up...I have been meaning to try again. I am in 7a. This bulb was supposed to bloom in 2/3 years. They are supposed to like some shade which is what I have.

4. bluelily

bluelily Member

Thanks for the info. I'm in Zone 3A so i guess I'm out of luck. Too bad though It's beautiful.

5. christabel

christabel Member

They are amazing there is one on my way to work caught my eye this year , it was in bloom and amazing. tempted to go knock on the door and ask for a few of the seed pods. They can take up to 7 years to bloom and then the mother bulb dies and the pups ( i dont know exactly what they are called) will bloom in a few years. I believe a common name for them is himalyan lily.