Hedychium coronarium - not flowering

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by maggiec, Aug 21, 2007.

1. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

I've had a hedychium ('White Butterfly') in my front border for approx. 8 yrs. It's survived all these winters and increased in size, but has never flowered. It may be my neglect (the bed get's a bit dry during the summer) but I'm thinking of giving up on it and digging it up to make room for something else.

Has anyone had success getting one of these to flower in our climate? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

I have the same problem, Maggie. Don't know which hedychium I have; it had no label when I bought it at a sad-plant stand. Its stems have multiplied, but it has never bloomed. Mine gets plenty of water and sunshine. Maybe it's just not hot enough here. I moved a pot of tuberoses to the greenhouse because the clump multiplied but never bloomed, and it looks as if there will be one flowering stem this year. Don't think I'll do that with the ginger. I like its foliage/leaf arrangement, so I won't be removing it.

3. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

I've read that it likes the soil consistently moist - I would guess bog conditions? I am considering growing it in a tub with no drainage holes, but wondering if it's worth the trouble as it would have to overwinter in frost-free conditions if out of the ground. The only things I move are one particular dahlia that I like and gardenia tree. I really don't want to cart more things around.

I thought this would be a nice addition to my collection of fragrant flowers, but no such luck...

Otherwise, if someone out there is more patient than I am (well I've waited almost 10 years :)), then he./she is welcome take it when I dig it up this fall.