Perennial under Ash tree

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by abfab, Aug 20, 2007.

1. abfab

abfab Member

I am planning to build a perennial flower bed along back the fence line of my backyard.
    Can someone recommend a plant that would grow well under a large ash tree (2+ feet in diameter)? Would hostas work??

thanks!

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Ash are not quite as moisture robbing as Maple but the area will still get very dry in the absence of rain (ie. not a moist shade). Do you plan to water it occasionally?

With no irrigation, Hostas will be ok but won't be thriving beauties. Weekly irrigation would be very beneficial.

3. abfab

abfab Member

yes, I will be watering the flowers. If there are other shade plants that would work better I'm open to suggestions.

Because the tree is so large the tops of some of the roots are exposed. I've read that with some trees covering them up in order to plant flowers may not be good for the tree. Is that something I should be concerned about?

thanks!

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Adding up to 4" of compost would be beneficial for both the garden and the tree. If you were top dressing with heavier earth or more the 6", I would be concerned.

There should be enough space between the exposed roots to get perennials planted without have to pile earth on top.

If you intend to water, all but the most thirsty plants will work out. The list is extensive.....Hostas, Epimediums, Tricyrtis, Ferns,, etc, etc,

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you water the area, many types of tree will grow more roots there to take advantage of it, and of the nutrients in the mulch or new soil. The flowers may have trouble getting moisture or nutrients and may not thrive. You are setting up a garden in a war zone where the flowers will have to fight constantly for survival against a far more powerful adversary.

6. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

All of our perennial beds were created around pre-existing trees. If it's a "war zone", then it seems the plants and trees have reached some sort of a mutually-agreeable truce. In this dry climate, when we water, it is with the intent of ensuring that the trees get adequate water, moreso than the perennials. I'm not sure that "war zone" is really an apt term to describe what is the normal situation in nature - trees and understory.