When to cut down poppy stalks/pods, and transplant?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by cheena1, Aug 20, 2007.

1. cheena1

cheena1 Member

Hi group: Sorry, not much of a gardener yet. I have tall poppy stalks w/pods, 2 or 3 varieties. When can I cut them back/take the pods? Also, I'd like to thin out the really large ones and replant them in other areas.

Same question really, for tall daisies, and giant (6') tall allium. I inherited the garden, and while I like what's there, there are too many, too close, and they need to be replanted to the back area.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I can reply re: the poppies. The ones you have planted are almost certainly annual plants. No transplanting necessary! Harvest the seeds and spread them over the soil in the area where you'd like them to be. To control them appearing in the other garden, you'll need to weed them out if any pop up next year (or years after that).

The seeds are ripe when you can hear them rattle inside the chambers of the capsule. The stalks will be mostly dried by then, and the pods should break off somewhat easily. It's almost certain that you'll inadvertently drop some seed on the current bed when harvesting the capsules (or shaking them), so do be prepared for them coming up again next year in that bed.

3. cheena1

cheena1 Member

Thank you so much Daniel, for answering! Much appreciated, will check out the pods this week!

One question down - two to go!! lol

Kind regards,
    Cheena1