Pumpkin Plant

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by sallen002000, Aug 11, 2007.

1. sallen002000

sallen002000 Member

Hi,
    In June my son brought home a I think Pumpkin Plant. He said that it was suppose to grow pumkins, (eventually). I put it in the ground and it bloomed pretty good but yesterday I thought I would move it to another spot because it was getting big. I looked at it this morning and it is all willted and sad looking. The big yellow flowers have died. Is it dead forever or can it be saved? Should I move it back to where it was? Help!!!! It was my 7 year olds plant. I feel horrible.

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Nancy749

Nancy749 Member

Since a week has gone by, I was wondering whether or not your pumpkin plant survived? Usually if you transplant something with most of their roots intact, they should survive as long as they are kept damp and protected from too much heat. Whenever I've transplanted something, it has always looked wilted for 1 or 2 days due to shock, but always revives and continues on afterwards.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

pumpkins need lots of water to begin with and if you did move it, then it's going to need even more - to get through the stress of being moved as well as to get the roots re-established.

and, yes, they DO get long!! well, you'll know for next year and can find a more appropriate spot first off so you don't have to move it mid-season!