tiny tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by hillbilliesue, Aug 11, 2007.

1. hillbilliesue

hillbilliesue Member

My tomato plants, tho healthy looking have tiny little tomatoes on them. I have five diff. varieties among a dozen plants and they all look like cherry tomatoes! I live on V.Island and our summer has been pretty cool this year, but is there any way to help increase their size a little? Thanks!

2. Rashford Ricardo

Rashford Ricardo Member

67 MAYSWOOD GARDENS, DAGENHAM, ESSEX,RM10 8UU,UK
    Dear Friend,
    I am from Grenada in the Caribbean, living here in Dagenham UK. I have a backyard myself, and yearly I often plant tomatoes and spinach. About 2 months ago I went to the boot sale and there I met a gardener who was selling mini tomatoes as what you mentioned. It's the first time I have seen so small trees about one and half inches high with flowers and mini tomatoes. He had 2 types, the other was about 2 inches but you can tell the difference as by the shape of the trees . However a week later I moved them out doors in larger pots. The smaller one bore 5 tiny fruits and I extracted about 8 seeds and the tree just gave the ghost up. The other has still remained about 2 inches tall, but it has spread like a running grass filled with fruits and flowers, the span is about 2feet!! but I must admit it is beautiful.
    To propogate, extract the seeds, place in a fine sieve and under a running tap , lightly rub away the spongy mass off the seeds, and mix a tiny bit of ash from a burnt piece of wood to disinfect the seeds and leave inside to dry, then you will have fresh seeds to germinate when you wish to do. This is the way we used to have yearly seeds in Grenada in the 1950's, but today, both down there and up here everyone goes out and buy packet seeds. Good luck.
    rick
    rashford12@hotmail.com