Matilija Poppies (aka fried egg poppy)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by passionflower, Aug 10, 2007.

1. passionflower

passionflower Member

Would anyone know of a source for these poppies? I have been told they are very rare but I am not convinced.

Thank you.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't have a source off the top of my head, but look for Romneya coulteri. Should be available as seed at least. It does very well at the Garden, so It should do well for you in a well drained spot, there in Powel River.

3. passionflower

passionflower Member

Thanks for the info Eric. I shall scout the seed houses for next year's planting.

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I know Phoenix perennials had a couple last I looked, but be prepared for the price. These come from a specialty grower in California and aren't cheap even before being trucked up here.

I have dreamed of growing these since I was a kid. I finally have germinated a bunch but my crisis management lifestyle has thinned out the herd, of seedlings, quite a bit.

Also be prepared for a challenge germinating seed, should you go that route. This was my first experience germinating with GA-3, which is said to be pretty well indispensible for this species.

5. passionflower

passionflower Member

It's funny you should mention Phoenix-I tried calling a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get an answer-I shall try again.

So is what you are saying you did get seedlings to grow then?

Wonder what the success rate of taking cuttings are? I know where there is a bush of these.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input.

6. growest

Hi again passion--everyone seems quite pessimistic about cuttings, unless you could very carefully remove small stems with a bit of root attached, more like offsets or divisions. Even so, these appear to be quite temperamental plants, even in my experience with the seedlings.

Standard cutting propagation is with root cuttings (which I've never done). Pencil thick root sections taken late winter, perhaps nudged with some heat into growth (before they decide to rot!). Remember again that the plants seem sensitive to root disturbance...I would only work with a plant in my own garden and even then it may set it back somewhat rummaging around it's rootball.

Personally I'll just keep on with my seedlings from a mid Marxch sowing...these have been numerous as mentioned, but suffering major attrition after pricking out which is happening all thru this summer (VERY erratic and slow germination).

7. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Growest & Passionflower,
    I was seeking out Romneya coulteri this summer and fall. I did find that Island Specialty Nursery in Crofton, BC had them or you could be put on their list for
    availability.
    I purchased some seed from Thompson & Morgan Seed Comp. and have done some checking on seed propagating. Anything from planting the seed in a tray and putting pine needles on top and lighting it on fire. One web site talked about it being the smoke induction that triggered seed germination, not necessarily the heat from fire?
    Another person tried soaking in unleaded gasoline?
    I posted a thread for fresh seed, but with no response. Though maybe planting up fresh seed that there might be better germination rate?
    'Growest' sounds like you have started these before, if you could give me some information it would be appreciated.
    Tried to get some from someone I new and they said that they had tried giving root cuttings away in the past and they did not succeed. They have since moved away.
    They are beautiful and said that once you get them established that they multiply and perform very well.
    Charles

8. growest

Hi Charles--my research indicated that scarification and exposure to GA-3 were both vital, the need for smoke seemed less certain.

My seeds were from Sandeman (usually one of the cheaper places, tho quantities can be large for the average home gardener), rubbed between extra fine sandpaper for a few minutes before soaking in the GA-3 solution. I then mixed the moist seeds with sand until they were separated enough to sprinkle on my seed flats (ordinary 1020 plastic flats, undivided type, filled with peatbased potting mix). I sprinkled an even layer of fine vermiculite over the flats and kept them in the cool greenhouse.

It was about 2-3 months before the first seedlings sprouted, and they continue to germinate until now. I did buy some liquid smoke from a grocery store, and poured that over one half of each seedling flat after a few months--this did seem to prompt a flush of germination on those areas, but doesn't seem critical. Eventually looks like a very good percentage of seeds will sprout, but the seed coats are obviously of varying imperviousness, resulting in this incredibly erratic pattern of germination.

If there was a next time for me, I would sprinkle the seeds onto a plug tray (I would use a 72 tray only because I know I would neglect a smaller cavity tray too much and lose them all!). This because the bigger challenge seems to be getting the sprouted seedlings to continue to grow, especially after "pricking out" of a flat...they seem extremely sensitive to root disturbance and are continuing to wilt and die on me even with very careful watering and shading/growing under fluorescents, etc...haven't found the secret to this stage yet!

Good luck with them...as you say, once established, the plants seem fairly easy going in our climate, esp. given very sandy, well drained soil and a sunny spot.

9. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Thank you Growest,

Without sounding foolish? What exactly is GA-3 and where do you purchase it?
    I have started many Erythronium and Cyclamen seeds and find if plant them fresh, rather than from a seed source (which most times is the only way to get them) that my germination rate is greater with only a few coming up 6mths - 1yr. later?
    I wonder if I could get the contact for the 'Sandeman' seed source that you speak of?
    I will check with Don at the Island Specialty Nursery in Crofton to see if he could give me some information on these beauties. I spoke to him about purchasing plant from earlier in the year and it sounded like they where from a division. Will let you know if I find anything out in regard to handling for transplanting.
    Thank you so much for your help and information.
    Charles

10. growest

Hi again Charles, and others--GA-3 is a natural hormone found in some soils due to microorganisms growing therein. All you'll need to know and a source in Canada is available here--

http://gardensnorth.com/site/

The Sandeman company is oriented more to commercial nurseries, but you can see if it makes sense to order there, I have had mostly good success with his stuff...prices are certainly competitive but package quantities and order minimums might be a problem for many folks...

http://www.sandemanseeds.com/