New Hibiscus doing well, winter care advise?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by jacksparrow, Aug 10, 2007.

1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Active Member

Hello there,

Planted this hibiscus a few days ago, and it seems to be doing well with 2 blooms already, how does one look after it during winter months?

[​IMG]

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Do you know for sure if this is a hardy species, or possibly a tropical?

The principal way to tell the difference between a tropical and hardy Hibiscus variety is to check the leaves. Tropical Hibiscus have dark green glossy leaves and flowers that are either single or double with colors of pink, red, yellow, salmon, orange, golden, or peach. And the flowers of a tropical Hibiscus flowers normally only last a single day. The hardy perennial Hibiscus has medium-green foliage with dull heart shaped leaves. Their flowers are white, red, or pink and are generally larger than the tropical plant.

At first glance, the leaves of your plant appear to be tropical but it is impossible to tell the glossiness from the photo. The leaf shape appears to be tropical. If it is tropical you will need to move it indoors for the winter.

You can get good advice on Hibiscus at the American Hibiscus Society website, http://www.americanhibiscus.org/index.htm

3. jacksparrow

The label said it's called hibiscus fireball

4. photopro

Sorry, all that tells us it is a hybrid variety. Can you tell me if the leaves are glossy or matte?

5. photopro

I was able to find this info from Nature Hills Nursery, "The Hibiscus 'Fireball', is the second most popular Fleming Hibiscus on the market today, growing to a height of 3-4'. 'Fireball' has bright burgundy flowers that explode over purplish 'cut-leaved' foliage. It has the best flower in the Fleming Hibiscus species because of its overlapping nature, texture, red color and outer shape components.

It is best to plant this Hibiscus in a full sun area and it will tolerate most soil types. 'Fireball' looks wonderful with grasses, as a background plant or with Hibiscus 'Old Yella' and Hibiscus 'Torchy' or as an alternative plant to Hibiscus 'Lord Baltimore'. (PPAF)".

Unfortunately, they don't tell if it is a tropical or a hardy variety. Nature Hills is a very reliable grower so you might want to look them up and send them a note. The only varieties I personally know of that came from that nursery were tropical, but they certainly may sell both types. The easist way to tell is to check the leaf shape and glossiness as described above.

6. jacksparrow

the leaves are not glossy, they are dull heart shaped and the flower is definitely huge. Am just going to prune it in dec, put some mulch over it and let it produce new growth for spring

7. photopro

I'd say your intentions are good. But I'd also suggest you check the American Hibiscus Society site for suggestions.