Should the leaves turn black in August

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by napiman, Aug 8, 2007.

1. napiman

napiman Member

hi
    should they on a venus fly trap? the shop were i bought it from said that if people touched the trap they would die. or is it just that its time for them to dormant

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not an expert, but I don't think the leaves of a Venus flytrap should ever turn black. If you trigger the traps by touch (or feed them) they will die after closing a few times, but the plant itself will not die.

3. napiman

napiman Member

ok so wat should i do? leave the trap or cut it off?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If the trap has turned black or any part of the plant, trim it off. You don't want rot on the plant. These are quite different from typical house plants. Their care is unique. I really don't know much about them. You may want to read up. There are quite a few threads on the forums about them. Use the Search Function (on the green bar at the top of the page) to find them.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

G'day napiman....if your leaves are turning black and dying it is highly likely the plant needs more sunlight. I think it is summer over there and the plant needs at least 4 hours full sunlight in summer. Is the plant sitting in 10-20mm of water? The only other reason the traps/leaves turn black is if you have been feeding it dead flies or ants

Ed