Aroid needs help!

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by lorax, Aug 8, 2007.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm really not sure if I should post this thread here or where; however as very few people are able to grow their aroids outdoors year-round, I'll put it here.

This poor plant seriously needs help - it's in the wrong location so it's getting sun-damaged and windblown. I want to move it to a calmer, shadier location, but I'm not sure how this should be done in order to keep the plant healthy. It's fairly large - the stem diameter is almost 6" and it's about 1-1/2 feet tall. There's also a smaller pup that should be moved with it.

Life would be much easier if it was in a pot, but it's in the ground and I'm going to have to dig it up to move it.

Any help, and if possible an ID on it (photopro?), would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. It may be a Xanthosoma. The stems and petioles appear purple, is that correct? And the leaves appear to be fragile and thin? Is that also correct? If so, that would tend to make me consider Xanthosoma.

You might want to look through LariAnn Garner's website at Aroidia Research
    http://www.aroidiaresearch.org/

LariAnn is one of the best people I know to identify this group of plants. Assuming it is a Xanthosoma, you'll likely have better luck in light shade with the plant protected from as much wind as possible. You should find a tuber when you dig it up. Many of them are grown as food crops just for the tuber. Commercial growers grow them in full sun but they could care less if the leaves are beaten up.

3. lorax

Yes, stems and petioles are a rich deep grape purple, and the leaves are very fragile... I'll look for the tuber - it's going to a wind-sheltered and mostly shady location where it will get more water.

Thanks!

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

If you can get a descent photo of a leaf, post it and I'll ask LariAnn to take a look.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Hey lorax...you shouldn't have any trouble digging that plant up and moving it, it'll have a much better chance of living than if you leave it there. I have transplanted a few of my Alocasia's for the same reason without trouble. Good luck

Ed

6. lorax

Thanks for all your help, guys!

7. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Lorax,

I've looked at the picture of your plant and, although I am not 100% certain due to the sad condition of the plant, it looks to me very much like Alocasia plumbea 'nigra'. This plant prefers 60 to 80 percent shade, so I hope you've moved it by now! I don't have this one on my website because it is pollen sterile and, therefore, I cannot hybridize with it.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research