Pure white plant..no chlorophyll

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by C.Wick, Aug 7, 2007.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Have found a plant in a bottle along a lake that had flooded...it has no chlorophyll and only water source is the condensation inside the bottle. I have several images and even brought the bottle/plant home and put out in my garden in full light again to continue observing it. Any ideas on what kind or why it has no pigment?

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Sorry mate no idea, but it looks fascinating...I'm sure someone on here will be able to ID it for you. Keep us posted on any changes

Ed

3. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Pure speculation... The plant is growing under atypical conditions, which could greatly distort its appearance. The parallel veins suggest a monocot, which could grow from a bulb that has enough nourishment to get it started without sunlight. (If it is a dicot, then the the seed could possibly do the same thing) The bottle was mostly in the dark so the plant didn't produce chlorophyll. It will probably start producing pigment when exposed to sunlight. You might get a clue to what it is by other plants in the area. You could take it out of the bottle and plant it under more suitable conditions and see what develops. Are you in Atchison, KS?

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

actually the bottle was in FULL sunlight...........and yes...stuck in atchison. I've considered taking it up to K State or KU to see if someone there could help. It was definately a seed not a bulb......and tiny...it's not grown any in at least a month but neither has it started to die off.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Hey CWick...hows the progress on that white plant...I call it "message in a bottle" lol!!

Ed

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

~sigh~ nothing yet. and it's now dead i guess from the excessive heat we've been getting.........so no more chance of continued growth.