climbing herb, flowers...

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by maximus, Aug 7, 2007.

1. maximus

maximus Active Member

can anyone give me a heads up on what to plant here up around the pole?? on the right i have planted carrots, and towards the bottom there is thai basil, dark opal basil, i just want something that isnt going to take up too much room and also climb the pole i have there. Hopefully someone could give me an idea of what i could plant there :)

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to garden design and plant suggestions from plant id)

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hyacinth bean vine. loves hot/humid weather and full sun. grows to at least 20 feet. has beautiful flowers (there are purple and white varieties) and then it makes pods.

they are an unbelievably beautiful rich irridescent purple! definitely one of those plants that makes you stop and do a double-take!!

i have seeds i could send...don't know if it's allowed into your country tho.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Joclyn our customs would have a kniption if seeds arrived out of the blue. Big no no. Everything has to go through quarantine etc :)

Seems like it is here in Australia found this web site

http://www.gardenware.com.au/Gardening Guide/The Magic of Annual Vines.htm

Maximus hello,
    re seeds are you growing in pots? Try a cucumber but you will need to wrap the pole with a support so it has somewhere to hang. If fruit get's too heavy you can make a sling out of panty hose. I have been growing some on an old rose arbour and they work really well. I have not bothered with support as the seem to be ok. Clematis might be ok where you are as well but just be careful you don't cook your pots in the hot sun. I usually stand the pot inside a bigger one and fill the cavity with newspaper or wood shavings and water the fill as well as the pot. Black eye Susan [not sure of botanical name] it is a vine with orange flowers and a black centre

This might help for your end of the country. Section on climbers. Lots of other good information too.

Liz (Vic)

http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/uploads/documents/SOUTHERN.pdf

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Since you seem like a nice person, I won't reccomend Morning Glory. Clematis are wonderful, as are the hyacinth bean vines. If you've got higher humidity, you might also try Hoya carnosa - very nice, fairly fast grower, and quite heat-tolerant. Or, the ever-popular sweet-peas!

Beware of black-eyed-susans if you're buying by common name - that's also a name for a tall shasta-style daisy, which is (a) invasive and (b) not a climber.

You could also look at the climbing roses and the rambling roses, although these will require a bit more support.

And finally, if you're into eating your plants (as it would appear) scarlet runner beans are quite attractive both in the flowering and fruiting phases, and will coil in a swift and lovely manner up that pole. (Actually, pretty much any pole bean will do this, I just have a soft spot for scarlet runners.)

6. maximus

maximus Active Member

i have no idea whats growing in the pots surrounding the patch, theyre my dads property so i got no idea, might have 2 ask, i know theres a couple aloe vera, and ive planted a couple pots with echinacea, got a couple with love-in-mist, seeds just sprouted in them both and got a couple with pyrethrum waiting to come up, also got a nice big pot with hyssop coming up, havent made my mind up yet so we`ll see might end up planting some beans...