peonie transplanting-Help!

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Cracker, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Cracker

Cracker Member

I am new to this site and have a dilemma: Our neighboring, vacant lot has a large bed including four to five peonie plants. The owner has given me permission to have these but, recently and unknowingly weed-wacked the peonies. Can I transplant these in the summer or do I have to wait until fall? I also want to transplant them into pots if possible? Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Here in USDA 8 the preferred time is September.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

If it's ok I would mark them with sticks so neighbour will not cut there again and see if it's ok to take them out when Ron suggests. That way they can still gather a bit of strength from the beheading before the next torture :) the digging up. I have mine in pots but I will admit they are not crash hot. I need to take more care of them and put them in a sunnier spot in my case in the garden.

Liz

Liz

4. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Make sure you don't plant them too deep or they will fail to bloom. Their eyes should be no more than two inches below soil. They like a neutral soil. Incorporate compost into the planting hole. Fertilize with something like 5-10-10 in the spring when the foliage is up about three inches.

5. Cracker

Cracker Member

Thanks to all for the advice and knowledge.... I hope to save these plants!
    Cracker.