ID Help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by timmer, Jul 25, 2007.

1. timmer

timmer Member

Can anyone give me an ID of this plant? It is growing wild in a potential restoration site. It looks somewhat Petasites but I can't seem to pin it down. It is about 4 feet tall, with very large leaves (foot and a half). Also - I assume it is a non-native to Washington State and wondering if anyone has seen it become a problem (spreading, weedy, etc).

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. timmer

timmer Member

Thanks - That is what I thought it was. My problem is that the japonicus seems to have a different shaped leaf. This one the stem is attached to the center of the leaf (see another photo I've attached), whereas japonicus seems to be attached on the side with a kind of heart-shaped lobe around it (for example where the guy's hand is being 'eaten').

What do you think? Perhaps it was just some individual variety that I was looking at.

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm... right you are. I missed that detail when first looking at it.

How far is this site from some sort of disturbance (e.g., residential neighbourhood, power-line right-of-way)?

I've had a look at the native Petasites species, and those can be ruled out. That inflorescence growing beneath the leaves sure reminds me of Petasites, but I've never seen one with a peltate leaf before.

5. timmer

timmer Member

It is in an area of past disturbance. The property has recently switched hands and the current landowner doesn't know the plant. It is actually growing on the edge of a small bamboo plantation where the prior landowner was harvesting bamboo. It is in a wetter area near a small ephemeral stream. The bamboo and this plant definitly give the area a tropical asian feel. I am assuming (perhaps wrongly) that this plant was planted as an ornamental. Maybe I'll try to track down the prior landowner.

I agree that it definitely looks Petasites and the size is japonicus. Hmmm. No matter what it is - being a restoration site and non-native - I will try to control it.

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Shieldleaf (Astilboides tabularis) perhaps?

HTH
    Chris

7. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Yes that is what it is.

8. Daniel Mosquin

I'd considered Astilboides tabularis, but the inflorescence seems to be off (if that's indeed the inflorescence of this plant in the second photograph). Would it be possible to get a scan / better photo of the inflorescence?

9. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

There is a Rodgersia with those kind of roundish leaves.

10. Daniel Mosquin

I just had a look at both plants outside my office - the petioles aren't smooth on either of the two, though rougher on the Astilboides. Seems to me that the Astilboides petioles would capture the light in a photo in a way that's been shown here. And, on third glance, I'm not certain that the inflorescence in image 2 belongs to this plant. So, I'm now leaning toward what saltcedar and levilya suggested.

11. timmer

timmer Member

Those ideas look good to me. I'll take a closer look at the inflourescence next time I'm in the area. Thanks for all the help.