Chinese Lanterns

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by lily, Jul 22, 2007.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I could spend all day on this forum. It is very interesting and I am learning something new everyday. Here's a new question? A neighbour who recently moved away gave me some slips of various plants from her garden. One of these is called "Chinese Lantern" - They have little green balls on them that are suppose to turn color. I don't know anything about Chinese Lanterns. I simply stuck it in some soil in a 6" pot, water it well, that was about two weeks ago and it's still alive. "Bravo" for me. LOL
    Anyway, I noticed that it is getting kind of tall and scraggly looking. Should I pinch it? If so, where? I would like it to get a little bushier. Should I fertilize it? It has small white flowers. Do they like sun? shade? I would like to know how to care for this plant. If anyone knows about Chinese Lanterns, can you please help me?

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Chinese lanterns (Physalis something or other) is a very good case study as to why you should always be a bit suspicious when someone gives you plants from their garden, as the very fact that they have it to give away will give you some hint as to its nature. You were wise to put it in a pot, as in good garden soil and with a reasonable amount of moisture you will soon have a field of it. It might not be too hard to remove, and you may even want things that spread, but it is best to be forewarned. (Alstroemeria is another such plant, and others have been discussed on other threads here).

So yes, those rather boring little white flowers will leave behind seed pods which will eventually turn orange and look quite lovely, especially if it stays dry in fall. I think the scraggly look is an after-effect of its transplanting, and there is nothing you can do to improve its looks this year; it will come up looking better next year no doubt. If all goes well you will probably have more than one shoot next year too.

Honestly compels me to admit that I have not had much luck growing this in pots; I'm not sure why. But chances are that a bigger pot will be better, and in the ground better still.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years