UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Citrus

Post New ThreadReply

Old July 17th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Lemon tree in cold weather

Hello,
I've started a lemon tree from seed. It's still small, but at some point I would like to plant it in the garden. Will the tree survive winters with below freezing temperatures?
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Generous Contributor (100+ post)

Re: Lemon tree in cold weather

Lemon can stand temps slightly below freezing for a SHORT TIME IF it has been cold hardened (exposed to less than 68 F for several weeks). You can provide additional protection by covering the tree with sheets or blankets and adding a string of Christmas lights. This additional protection would probably allow the tree to survive exposure to temps in the range of 20 F or -5 to -7 C. It will probably take 7-9 years to get fruit from seed unless you graft mature wood onto the tree.

Skeet
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Indoor Gardener

A store bought lemon is likely to be either the Lisbon or Eureka variety. I believe Geneva is in zone 7 (-18 to -12C, 0 to 10F). It may be too cold even for the hardier Meyer lemon.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Junglekeeper is correct, the chance of a Lemon surving outdoors in Geneva, without massive protection, such as a greenhouse, is zero. - Millet
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Thank you all for your input. Another question: Is there any way that I can keep this tree indoors? I understand that it may reach up to 20 feet in height. Can I trim the top when it gets too tall?
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Just because the tree will be growing as a container tree, I doubt that it will ever even come close to 20-feet. Container growing is very dwarfing. My guess the tree will reach around 8-10 feet tall. - Millet
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Does anyone know where to purchase a lemon variety that will grow in the Vancouver BC area?
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Indoor Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatman View Post
Does anyone know where to purchase a lemon variety that will grow in the Vancouver BC area?
If you're referring to one for outdoors then Meyer lemon but it will need protection. You may want to look at this (very long) thread. This variety is currently available at various nurseries that sell tropicals.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Contributor (30-99 posts + 20 days registered)

Splatman, what are you looking for? I may be able to help you. Send me a private message. Where on the Coast do you live? Do you have a full sun - protected spot to plant a tree? IE south facing house wall or fence? You will need to have string of large 7 watt Christmas lights on for about 20 nights and 10 days a year. If you are willing to do that then some lemons can grow successfully here.

Greg
Post New ThreadReply