Dianthus Caryophyllaceae

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by JillN, Jul 13, 2007.

1. JillN

JillN Member

Could someone please tell me where exactly I am to cut off the spent flowers on my dianthus...........it is a perennial in the pink family and I have two .... one in each urn ....they have bloomed beautifully and now I want to cut off the dead heads or the spent flowers and I don't know exactly where to cut in order to encourage new blooms. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jill

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The second word you are using here is the name of the botanical family your dianthus belongs to and not a specific (or cultivar) name for the particular dianthus you have. Are these cut flowers in water in urns or whole plants growing in urns? Cut flowers would just be tossed when they went brown. Growing plants have the whole flower stem cut off just above the foliage mat below when all the buds in the cluster have bloomed and gone over.

3. JillN

JillN Member

Thanks, Ron B, for the info. Yes, these are whole plants growing in soil in urns, one plant to each urn. I will go out right now and do what you have directed. Thanks for your speedy reply.